In November, as 2008 started to wind down to completion, and I started to reflect on anniversaries, I started to think about how I would remember the year that was 2008. Clearly already a big year in my life, the month of December obviously became one of the most transitional of my entire life.
But, throughout the drama and sadness, came a lot of good times and the opportunity to meet a lot of great people. So, in the interest of recapping this year, join me in a look back at 2008 – in photos, videos, and blog posts, and I hope you’ll share some of your 2008 memories in the comments. This is the first in a two part series. With that, here we go.
- I started January in a new apartment, in a new job, and with a lot of questions. And, at this point, no blog, so nothing of interest to show you. Move along, nothing to see here.
- Well, except that Marissa was on her way to lifelong-friendy-ness.
- And by now, Caroline McCarthy has introduced me to Brett Petersel and the flood of awesome new faces has started
- This incarnation of tagsmith.org comes to life.
- … just in time for the Giants to pull off an upset win in the Super Bowl!
- We start to get acquainted with the new apartment
- First new job roadtrip to Santa Monica (I flew Delta and American and hated it)
- Bear Sterns fails, foreshadowing that the worst of the financial crisis is about to kick into high gear
- I meet Meg Fowler and Gradon Tripp and instantly my life is changed forever (theirs too).
- The longest single work day of my life (I got in at 5 to 9 am that morning)
- I finally meet Whitney Hess at the Web 2.0 Meetup
- The dba Tweetup – where I meet a lot of great friends for the first time – most notably Robert Murray, Tom Limongello, and Tony Bacigalupo.
- My first conversations with the incredible Shelley Greenberg start with this tweet (in response to a tweet where I asked what people were having for lunch).
- Marissa has a birthday, and I get an awesome photo.
- Internet Week
- A legendary night at Mashable Exhibit Hall and TechKaraoke. (seriously, one of the most fun nights of my life)
- I meet and see a whole bunch more people:
- Courtney Skay (this tweet marks as one of my favorite tweets ever), who took a chance and showed up and by the end of the night was singing karaoke with 20 people she’d never met before.
- Matt Zarzecki
- Brett Petersel
- Michelle DeForest
- Vanessa Jupe
- Steven Melfi
- Another great night at the post-TechSet dinner
- Meet a bunch more awesome people, including:
- Capped off by the Tumblr/Next New Networks Rock Band at MI-5
- I throw my first Tweetup at Agozar which results in the first #techicecream
- We do lunch at MTV for the first time, which results in one of my favorite pictures of the year.
- Brett has a birthday, and of course, karaoke and pizza are involved.
Stay tuned for part two soon!
What a great year Matt! So glad to have been part of it. Looking forward to 2009!
It was a great year Mr. Knell and I’ll glad to be a part of it and meet you (and also to make part One!)
Only fabulous things for you in 2009, I require it 🙂
looks like you’ve had a pretty good year Matt. I’m glad I had the opportunity to meet you and become friends. Thanks for introducing me into some truly great people. Looking forward to 2009 and looking forward to getting to hang out soon.