Awesomeness

And then it was over.

More than twelve weeks, countless IMs, text messages, tweets, blog posts, direct messages, e-mails, phone calls, volunteers, supplies, bus trips, plane trips, Kinko’s runs, first winds, second winds, and third winds (I can’t tell you how much work went in after midnight) led up to the inaugural SM4SC fundraiser in Boston.

And it was outstanding.

For the entire night, the thoughts in my mind shifted between three major themes:

These thoughts speak to a lot of things – most notably the power of social media, the good hearts, minds and thoughts of people who genuinely care, and the fact that we can come together to use our collective will to make something bigger than ourselves.

And I think that’s what it’s really about.

The collective good. Doing things that benefit everyone. The “we’re all in this together” spirit. The fact that even divided by distance, passion and love know no bounds. People make all the difference.

We all had different reasons for contributing to SM4SC, and different ways of contributing. And I had a wonderful time meeting so many amazing people, who said such kind words about what we were doing, and about me specifically.

I was especially inspired by how people gave unconditionally. And how gestures small and large online resulted in tangible results in person.

My favorite thoughts of the evening:

I’d like to again thank EVERYONE who was involved.

I hope that everyone can keep the spirit of giving going – for themselves and others. It doesn’t take a big event, a large contribution to give, in fact, the small acts that are shared between us everyday can start a revolution.

I can’t wait for the next SM4SC.

sm4sc post-game report on 12seconds.tv

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Awesomeness”

1. Liz October 12, 2008 at 4:11 am #

Inspiring event, inspiring people, inspiring post. Thanks, Matt.

2. Danielle October 12, 2008 at 7:40 am #

Sounds amazing. Glad you got so much out of it and had a good time in Boston

3. Meg October 12, 2008 at 1:51 pm #

Matt, it was a joy and a pleasure to meet you for both of us. I know we were both super giddy on the way to G’Vanni’s for just that reason.:)

You are an amazing man with amazing talents and a huge heart big enough to make anything happen. What an honour it was to work with you on all of this, and what an honour to call you one of my best friends in the world.

4. Stephanie October 13, 2008 at 8:40 am #

The full set of pics can be found http://flickr.com/photos/efactor/sets/72157607971716888/

Hope you enjoy! Great times! Matthew Knell is a superstar!

5. olivia October 21, 2008 at 7:16 pm #

You’re wearing your cobblestone JBCC shirt! Reprezent.

6. Walt Ribeiro November 15, 2008 at 12:13 pm #

Sounds like a good time! Agreed, Boston is epic.

BTW, this comment took me 12 seconds to write. Quite fitting? Right :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Social Media for Social Change | sm4sc.com Blog Archive | » Social Media for Social Change: The Wrapup - October 12, 2008

[...] the last couple days, there have been some really great write ups about the first SM4SC event, held at the Harvard Club on Friday Night. I’ve had to [...]

2. Social Media for Social Change Takes Off - October 30, 2008